My Love-Hate Relationship with E-Books

Books do not go to waste where I am concerned. Blame my mom. She must have given me books to play with when I was a little girl. Reason why I have allowed Svetlana to munch on a couple of books already, thinking that she might grow up to be a book lover too, if she ate enough books now. Haha! Yes, she loves eating them at this point, no sense telling her "That's not for consumption, you little pig. Books are for reading!" because she will not understand anyway. I think she must have eaten her way through half of the Winnie-the-Pooh storybook my sister gave her, to the delight of my mom. Grandmas can be so permissive. *rolls eyes*.

Anyway, as I was saying when I was rudely interrupted by myself, I love books. Especially those given to me as gifts *hint, hint*. Never been one to say no, thank you to a book. So when free e-books mushroomed all over the net, I was ecstatic. Imagine having all the world's books sitting in your computer, just waiting for you to read it. The best part is, they're free! Much as I would like to contribute to the author's wealth as my own simple way of expressing my gratitude, my bank account would not allow it. I have spent enough money on books to feed a family of three for a year when I was in college, so I think I'd stop at that.

Having been a WAHM for sometime now (yes, eight months is already some time for me) gave me the privilege of reading all those lovely e-books to my heart's desire (I am actually starting to read all of the 9 Sophie Kinsella e-books right now),

It's all free
if you
know where to look.

and much to the chagrin of publishers. I'm sorry dear authors and publishers, but I'd rather spend my money now on a pack of diapers or food than for a piece of book that I'd eventually lose anyway (as I like to share my stuff. Problem is, borrowers don't like to give it back). I think all WAHMs can agree. With all prices going up, will you spend it on something only you (and not the rest of your family) will enjoy? I thought so. The internet is a paradise for book lovers, trust me. As one of my favorite authors said, if you can get it for free, why buy it? It's all free if you know where to look. Well, okay, so I made that one up. I am actually my favorite author. eherm.

I know, I know. You've read this far and you still don't know why I have this love-hate relationship with e-books. I'll quit my rambling now and get to the point not because I want to, but because it's way past beddy-time. I think I have pointed out how much I love e-books already (say, "yes, you have" for the love of God, or I will repeat the whole thing all over again). What I hate about them, and it's the only thing I hate about e-books, mind you, is that they are harder to read than on print. The monitor makes me dizzy if I look at it too long, which is why much as I hate to pry my eyes away from what I reading, I must, because I love my perfect sense of sight too much.

21 comments:

Honie Kwon said...

aha ikaw nman.. jan..inaabuso mo ang madaeng privileges mo dito sa net..aahha..charing..:D anyway.. at least hnde bureng ang life mo!!

fedhz said...

kurak! tska parang nawala na ung term na "curling up with a good book." ako din dati, nakakatapos ng isang novel sa isang araw. pag english matagal. pag tagalog, shempre sandali lang. bwahaha.

ang mganda naman sa ebook eh isang type ko lang sa dictionary at gets ko na. pero un nga, sakit sa mata. huhuhu.

kaka-miss magbasa. waaah

niko said...

just like you bigla ako nagpanic nung nalaman kong for free mkukuha on net si twilight saga :D omg i love ebooks pero un rin kahilo after magbas :D ang sarap magtulog pagkatapos hahaha

redamethyst said...

di ko pa talaga na try ang e-books, pero gusto ko magtry since di na rin ako nakakabili ng mga books. ibibili ko nalang ng pagkain. hayz. nakakamiss.

zoan said...

na try ko yung e-books na realize ko na hindi talaga sya mabuti sa mata :( kasi sumasakit ulo ko.. at hindi ko masyado makuha ang story..

niko said...

so anung libro ang pinagkakaabalahan mo ngaun??

niko said...

feeling ko kaya ka wala online dahil sa books.. hmmmmmm dali share mo saken now na ng mkpag download aketch!

niko said...

bdw, ilang books na nasira ni goddess of destruction?? :) weh

Sherry Go Sharing said...

if there is good tips on ebook will be good to read.

Sherry Go Sharing said...

reading ebook can make me sleepy :)

Sherry Go Sharing said...

I agree ebooks are not easy to read

kamz said...

yes, you do love e-books! ayan, alam ko na yan.. pati books rin! pareho tayo. hehe!

kamz said...

maganda ang ebooks if you have a reader like the kindle for example... :D it is very handy and u get to read wherever you go.

kamz said...

san ba makakadownload ng free ebooks marce? gusto ko rin yan para naman makapagbasa ulit ako. :D

kamz said...

si sam ko rin, andami ko binili na books.. she is past the chewing phase... ngayon naman, punit phase! whaa!!

redamethyst said...

siguro may tamang time and lighting lang sa pagbabasa ng ebooks para di sumakit ang ulo at mata

redamethyst said...

pero sa ibang mahilig talaga mangolekta ng books, its better buying one. ako mahilig sa books kaso wala talagang bughet. nyahahaha

redamethyst said...

ang maganda lang sa ebooks eh libre na di ba. hehehee

Sherry Go Sharing said...

I remember a blogger selling $5 for tips to win contest or giveaway but forgot where her blog

Sherry Go Sharing said...

I think you can create ebook to sell to share your tips on using blog installation

Sherry Go Sharing said...

so cute, you mean she ate the paper, hehe.. maybe she curious of the taste