What's In A Name

No, this is not one of your "what's the meaning of your name" entries. I visited a website today, which has gazillions of names in their database, in order to look at the name Svetlana. Svetlana's my daughter's name, see (which, by the way, means "enlighted" in Greek, for the curious). I was looking for the common surnames attached to her name, and boy did I see a LOT of them. I wanted to list them all here but honestly, it IS a lot, but they're an interesting bunch, so I thought you might wanna check it out here. They're all Russian-sounding (naturally, since Svetlana IS a Russian name). Which would make her full name a combination of Russian and Spanish. Quite a mix, eh?

But I was surprised that Svetlana is also used as a SURNAME, as evidenced here. It kinda looked weird, scrolling down the page, seeing my daughter's name used like that. It was a long list yet again, which is impressive. Again, most of them are Russian-sounding (ALL of them hard to pronounce), I wonder if Svet will like it that I named her like that. The name Mukhamadeyeva Svetlana stood out from the list, the main reason being that it was quite a mouthful. I wish he/she was nicknamed M or something equally short.

Well that was interesting. I'm now off to submit Svet's first name and surname in the list, to let people know that there's a weirder one in the crowd who cannot decide if she's Russian or Spanish. Hah. Oh, you want to visit the site too? Names is the, well, the name of the website. It's a pretty straight-forward site, no flashy stuff to expect, but fully functional nonetheless. And they made their disclaimer clear, that the purpose of putting up the site is for entertainment and/or curiosity. Which exactly what I was after when I visited the site. Wanting to be entertained and curious like a cat. Not that I want to be killed, if you get what I mean. Ha ha. Okay that was lame.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your posts, and I always seem to miss all of your great *contests* and freebies and such...(teardrop). Its so crazy that I somehow missed out on your award, I'm always checking for comments!

redamethyst said...

so Russian pala ang Svetlana. ngayon ko lang nalaman. :D :D

zoan said...

that's what i thought back then :) nagsisi ako bat hindi ko mas ginawang unique name ng baby ko :D kasi common masyado family name namin.ahaha

Sherry Go Sharing said...

last time I don't know there is surname and last name

Genefaith said...

cute ang pangalan ni Svet...I read somewhere that this means "light"- a very prophetic meaning...

Genefaith said...

parang common sa Russian name ang Svetlana, but not in our country...unique name equals unique individual...

Genefaith said...

I'm glad that our father gave us all unique names- all 14 of us...

Genefaith said...

kaming 14 na magkakapatid have two names and each of our names has meanings and stories behind...

Genefaith said...

do you know that I want to trade my name for Doxagennes Keilah-the name of our 14th..he..he..crush na crush ko name nya....

Genefaith said...

the next time maghingi friend ko names for her baby, I could recommend this site...daming name nga na mapagpipilian...

niko said...

wahehehh i have to visit the site to know kng may yelena rin dun hahahh.

niko said...

pero ang galing tlga ng name ni svet.. i love it!!