I Miss Nanay!

When I learned I was pregnant with Svet, Paulie and I moved closer to where we work (I was still a "writer/researcher" back then, he was an in-between animator), so we chose Cubao (a commercial area in Quezon City, Philippines). It is only five-minutes away from my old office and thirty minutes away from his. We rented an unbelievably expensive box (it is Cubao, after all) and only survived because of Nanay. Nanay Esting is the very kind mother of Ate Mariz, who is Kuya Dick's wife, who was our landlord, the guy who owns two cars, both of which have pretty huge spoilers. Nanay took us in like we were her own children. She was the person who answered the gate when we were house-hunting. We immediately liked her on that very first encounter. She says her words without the letter H (she's Kapampangan). She has a very child-like demeanor that's disarming.

When we left the house that day Paul and I knew that we found a temporary home. We moved in two days later, and she was just heaven sent to us. Whenever it's raining and we're not around, Nanay Esting would collect our clothes outside so that it wouldn't be soaked. We only have one bed sheet during our first night there so she lent us one of her own. She would offer her hangers for us to hang our clothes on when we didn't have enough of them. She would give us food whenever she cooks something special (her Pochero is a killer! I miss that!). She lent us money when we ran short. I don't think there's nothing she wouldn't do to help us. She even gave us advice about life, told us about her life (and love!) story, which endeared her to us even more.

When we left, she told us to come back and visit her from time to time. But we haven't gone back ever since.
*sigh* How I wish we had the time to visit her last Christmas. She would've been glad to see Svet. I miss that old lady dearly. I wonder how is she doing now? I have her number on my other sim. I wonder if it's still working. I should text her. I even blogged about her in my old Friendster blog one year ago. No links. If you want to see it, ask me for it. Bleh. Hee hee.

Our blogversary contest is ongoing! More than $500 of cash and prizes are at stake!

BIG Blogversary Contest


9 comments:

Sherry said...

maybe you can plan to visit her this year.

Genejosh said...

what a kind nanay she is..Miss our landlord too before, if we're still there may new year gift sana kami:(

niko said...

aw i miss her for you.. so baet for a landlord.. konti n lang silang ganyan..

kamz said...

ei, i think you should take time to visit her marce. what a sweet and nice landlord she is.. she must be older now... you're very lucky!

redamethyst said...

nakakaiyak naman. go visit her. baka namimiss na rin nya kayo. find time to do it.

zoan said...

find time to visit her, if wala ka pang time, try to contact her nalang muna.. hanapin mo yung sim mo, kasi bihira ang mga taong katulad nya...

niko said...

There were good things that sometimes we have to sacrifice to get where we should be..kakasad na minsan kailangan natin silang iwan..

niko said...

Dati pala nung nagrun away ako for hubby, nakitira ako sa friend ko, si daryl..she was so nice kaya lang need na rin namin umalis dun nung buntis rin ako kasi so malayo na sa office..

Sherry Go Sharing said...

my grandma is at old folks home far away from here, my dad often visits her.